History

Glencot House was originally built for William Sampson Hodgkinson thebenevolent owner of the Wookey Hole paper mills.It took over 10 years to build and was completed in 1887. He chose thesite of a former mill owners house belonging to a Major Coles.

Original name

The house was first called Little Glencot and had burnt down so Mr Sampson Hodgkinson demolished the remains and built the house you see today. Glencot House was built by the architects Ernest George and Harold Peto. They were renowned Victorian architects who specialised in recreating the architecture of bygone eras and this can be seen at Glencot, which isbuilt in a Jacobean style.

Location

Glencot is idyllically located overlooking the river Axe with beautiful south westerly facing gardens. The premises had a cricket pitch, tennis courts and a well kept garden.

Other owners

After the war the house was sold to a Mr. Bright, a tailor from London. He had various plans to turn Glencot into an small hotel, creating a farm at the coach house.

Glencot was again sold in 1981 to a local family who had many interesting plans for it, but came up against a lot of local opposition. Quite some restoration work was done and then the house lay empty for two years until it was purchased in 1985 and gradually restored to become an hotel.

In 2006 Glencot House was bought by Martin Miller, the founder of Miller's antiques guides and he set about refurbishing the hotel. In 2011, it was again sold to a private owner turning it into a private residence instead of a hotel.

Posted by June 19th, 2012